What We Do
We enhance organizations through human-centered experiences.
Redesigning a product? Developing an entirely new concept? Changing the way you serve customers? We bring new thinking and approaches to help you clarify and articulate a project’s reason for being.
- Developing project metrics for success
- Facilitating stakeholder workshops and strategy sessions
- Identifying user needs and existing gaps in meeting those needs
- Creating project plans or roadmaps that marry user needs and organizational goals
- Conducting comparative reviews
- Providing ongoing user experience consultation
Who are your customers? And what are they trying to accomplish? We employ a wide range of research methodologies to gain a clear understanding of your audiences — the who, what and why. Research yields essential data and actionable insights. We synthesize research findings within user profiles, personas, user task flows and journey maps.
User Research Services
- Contextual and other types of interviews
- Field studies and ethnography
- Focus groups and surveys
- Product usage analysis
- Diary studies
- Experience mapping
- Rolling research programs
Training & Coaching
How do you apply the lessons of human-centered design to future projects? What tools and skill sets can be nurtured and utilized throughout the organization? Teaching and coaching are an essential component of our approach to client engagements. We help internal teams become more fluent in human-centered design through classroom and small group training sessions. We teach by example and openly share tools and techniques.
Teaching and Coaching Services
- Training in human-centered design, UX Research, prototyping and design, writing for the web, content strategy, and digital accessibility.
- 1:1 coaching and mentoring
- HCD toolkit and templates
- Setting up CX teams and Centers of Excellence
- Leadership training in human-centered design and customer-experience
What’s the optimal way to organize information for your users? How can we bring refined principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape? We use information architecture and conceptual design as a foundation for successful user experiences.
Information Architecture Services
- Creating and communicating functional requirements
- Defining your product or service’s information architecture
- Developing conceptual designs, such as wireframes
- Creating content models and taxonomies
- Conducting card sorting studies — both online and in-person
- Evaluating information architecture through in-person or remote usability studies
User Interface & Interaction Design
Are proposed design solutions usable? How can those potential solutions be improved? Before any coding, we design interfaces and interactions iteratively so we can get feedback from the person that matters most—the user.
User Interface & Interaction Design Services
- Design mapping
- Conducting design and brand workshops and reviews
- Building user interface specifications and annotated design systems
- Creating standards and guidelines
- Visual design
Usability Testing & Evaluation
What’s the best way to get feedback from different kinds of users? In the minds of users, how does a product stack up against the competition? We connect directly with users and user groups to guide product development.
Usability Testing & Evaluation Services
- Usability benchmark studies
- Remote usability testing
- Paper prototype usability testing
- International user testing
- Heuristic evaluations and expert reviews
- Standards-based inspections
- Cognitive walkthroughs
- A/B Testing
Have you considered your users with disabilities in your design? How can you ensure you’re compliant with current accessibility regulations? We help organizations make technology accessible and usable for persons with disabilities so they can access the information they need.
- Conducting automated and manual accessibility audits
- Testing with representative users
- Designing to meet standards (WCAG 2.1 and Section 508)
- Collaborating with teams to conduct software ADA testing
- Consulting on accessibility best practices
Do users find and understand the content they need when they visit your site? Does your content reflect your organizational values across all touch points? Do you have workflows to create and maintain content over time? We provide guidance to help you hone your content, have meaningful conversations, and reach your organizational goals.
Content Strategy Services
- Guiding site-wide content audits
- Determining what content is required based on identified user and business goals
- Developing content standards and guidelines
- Identifying content contributor roles and responsibilities
- Facilitating content strategy and governance workshops
- Creating content creation and governance workflows
- Teaching plain writing principles
- Creating comprehensive content improvement plans and guiding content contributors through content improvement projects
Organizational Change Management
Are you struggling to get buy in from leadership or stakeholders for a more customer-focused way of doing business? Wanting to avoid the major pitfalls of projects that fail? We offer flexible organizational change management services that will help you move quickly towards strategic goals while making a positive difference in the lives of your customers and the staff who service them.
Organizational Change Management Services
- Facilitating stakeholder interview to understand strategic priorities, opportunities and risks
- Crafting a vision and key performance metrics to measure impact
- Creating a stakeholder inventory to help identify change champions and making a plan for bringing along skeptics
- Developing a OCM communications plan outlining key messages to share at the right time and in the right channels to support the change you want to see
- Providing ongoing organizational change management consultation and training to help grow your own HCD and change management capacity.
The human-centered design process is inherently data-driven. We make informed decisions and recommendations based on empirical data rather than assumptions.
Valuable information about the end-user is collected. The goal is to understand the people and problems you’re designing for.
Generate a variety of ideas that focus on the needs and desires of your end-user uncovered by research.
Evaluate ideas for merit and create a tangible version of the best ideas that can be used to validate usefulness.
Get your prototype in the hands of the people you’re designing for. Use their experiences to further improve your concepts.
Once the design has proven itself with the end-user, it can be launched and monitored for real world success.
A Highly Collaborative Approach
Bespoke Human-Centered Design
Every organization serves unique users and faces unique challenges. In our work, a cookie-cutter approach is simply not possible. We provide clients with human-centered solutions that are customized, flexible and scalable to get results and accomplish business goals.
Leave a Legacy
Fixes are temporary, while knowledge is lasting. We focus on empowering teams with the skills and tools to lead an organization’s human-centered design activities long after our engagement is over. From start to finish, we actively demonstrate to executives and stakeholders how human-centered design practices promote organizational success.
Decisions Informed By Data
The human-centered design process is inherently data-driven. We make informed decisions and recommendations based on empirical data rather than assumptions. Throughout the process, we gather metrics to evaluate and ensure project success.
Embrace Change as a Constant
People change, organizations change and technologies change. So we need to change. There is always more to learn, which is why we’re active in both academic and professional organizations to keep our skills super sharp and always fresh.