Over a 3-year period, the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) saw an 820% increase in logins to the 40+ secure online services, but logging in is only half the battle. Employers in Washington State pay premiums, obtain licenses, and learn how to keep their workers safe via these services, and they’re eager for a consolidated place to do this and to communicate online with claims and account managers.
L&I set the goal to create a world-class experience that would serve as their customers’ online one-stop-shop for business with the agency, and that would strengthen their relationship with customers by building trust and increasing transparency.
My L&I is the one-stop-shop where employers can see their status with L&I, take care of important tasks like paying premiums, and communicate via secure message with claims and account managers.
Facts & Figures
- 163,000 Total State-fund Businesses
- 7 Usability Studies
- 54 Usability Study Session Participants
- 3 Participatory Design Workshops
“It seems like a useful tool.”
“My L&I is pretty comprehensive. It has everything I can think of. It seems like it has everything covered.”
Together with our partners at L&I, we worked through the user-centered design process and provided a variety of services to meet the final goal.
- Understanding user goals, top tasks, preferences for communicating with the agency
- Comparative analysis
- Contextual interviews with subject matter experts
- Surveying: approximately 1500 responses from customers on communications preferences
- Participatory design workshops: 3 collaborative research & design workshops with over 50 L&I staff members
- Information architecture and screen flow
- Low-fidelity wireframes
- Annotated prototypes
- Weekly, small-team collaborative design studios
- 2 Low-fidelity paper prototype studies
- 3 Digital prototype studies
- 2 Functional prototype studies
- Partnered with L&I to provide visual design direction and consulting
- Guidance on enterprise customer experience strategy